| ||Application for a Position on the ASCD Board of Directors || |
ASCD empowers educators to achieve excellence in learning, teaching, and leading so that every child is healthy, safe, engaged, supported, and challenged.
The ASCD Nominations Committee is now seeking qualified candidates to fill two positions on the 2020 Board of Directors. Board members serve a four-year term. The deadline for completed applications is Monday, September 30, 2019, by 11:59 p.m. eastern time.
BOARD OF DIRECTOR POSITION DESCRIPTION
The Board of Directors is responsible for ensuring that ASCD’s policies, programs, and services are consistent with ASCD’s values and beliefs. The Board’s constitutionally defined responsibilities include the following:
• Approve ASCD’s strategic direction.
• Fulfill ASCD’s fiduciary responsibilities.
• Align resources to the strategic direction and approve the budget to accomplish that framework.
• Allocate ASCD’s resources.
• Establish external and internal reviews in order to improve ASCD’s effectiveness.
• Establish working groups to accomplish the work of the Board.
• Adopt, revise, and monitor the implementation of policies and position statements.
• Take action in response to recommended positions and convene the ASCD Forum, if necessary.
• Elect a president and a vice president from the Board of Directors.
• Employ and annually review the performance of the Executive Director.
• Fill vacancies until the next election of the Board members elected by the general membership.
• Review and take action on recommendations for the constitutional review process.
• Review and approve applications for affiliate status and ASCD partnerships and alliances.
• Examine, on a regular basis, its own performance and invest in Board development.
In addition, ASCD policies for members of the Board of Directors identify some specific expectations:
• Follow all conflict-of-interest, confidentiality, and ethics policies.
• Serve on standing committees and ad hoc committees (upon appointment).
• Work in concert with the Executive Director and other members of the Board of Directors.
Board members serve a four-year term. Potential candidates must commit to attending four meetings of the Board of Directors each year:
1. Summer: 1.5 days in July
2. Fall: 1 day in October or November
3. Winter: 1.5 days at ASCD in January or February
4. Spring: 1 day, just prior to the ASCD Empower conference
The Nominations Committee requires applicants selected for an interview to submit approval from their supervisors to attend these meetings.
In addition to meetings, Board members are expected to serve as active participants on Board subcommittees and task forces upon appointment.
PATHWAYS TO BOARD SERVICE
• Self-nominate: Professionals may submit an application based on interest and successful experience in a leadership position.
• Be recruited: Professionals may be recruited to submit an application if they have demonstrated success in a leadership position, meet the criteria described, and possess the skill sets outlined in the application form.
• Be recommended: ASCD’s Constitution (Article V, Section 1) states that “the Board of Directors shall be composed of eight members (elected at large by the general membership), who shall each serve a term of four years; up to three members (appointed by the Board of Directors), who shall each serve a term of up to four years to ensure diversity; and the Executive Director.” The Board Competencies Committee may recommend someone to serve based on demonstrated success of leadership capacity to meet the requirement for diverse representation in ASCD governance. In this case, the recommendation is voted on by members of the Board of Directors.
(Self-nomination, recruitment, or recommendation does not automatically ensure candidacy.)
| || || |